Monday, April 2, 2007

Fiance Visas - U.S. Immigration

Fiance Visas - U.S. Immigration
by: Maury D. Beaulier


We have successfully obtained thousands of fiancee and marriage visas. These include visas for wives and husbands in all countries including Latin America (Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama), asian countries (China, Viet Nam, Thailand, Korea, Taiwan, Japan, China), the former USSR (Russia, the Ukraine, Czechoslovakia), the Phillipeans, Europe Canada and more.

The length of time it takes us to obtain a fiancee visa depends on the state in which you reside, the country in which your fiancee lives and the immigration processing center where the application is processed. We will do all of the work and provide you with a realistic time estimate based upon your situation. We obtain fiancee visas for clients from every state in the U.S. Call us at (952) 746-2153.

Whether you met that special someone on a trip overseas or while she/he was visiting the United States or even in an online chat-room, if you’re ready to join as husband and wife, or at least fiances, you may be eligible to bring your fiancé(e) to the U.S. to finalize your union in marriage.

If you are a U.S. citizen and your fiancé(e) lives abroad, the Fiancé Visa may be just what you’ve been looking for. The Fiancé Visa is a relatively fast process that allows your fiancé to enter the U.S. to marry you and then adjust his/her status to lawful permanent resident based on the marriage (without having to leave the U.S.). Compared to other types of permanent status visas like the Family Based Petition, Employment Based Petition, or the Diversity Lottery program, the Fiancé Visa has a relatively fast processing time and when done properly, can reunite you and your fiancé(e) in the United States.


The first step is to file the Fiancé Visa Petition with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), with supporting documents. It is very important to submit the necessary supporting documents; failure to do so can result in long delays or even denial of the petition.

Once the petition is approved, the INS will forward the petition to the U.S. Embassy or consulate where your fiancé(e) resides. Your fiancé(e) would then be contacted by the embassy or consulate for an interview. Some of the documents that your fiancé(e) may need to present at the interview include: a valid passport, evidence of support, birth certificate, medical examination report, divorce decree or death certificate of any previous spouse, police certificates from all places lived since age sixteen (16), evidence of the validity of your relationship; and passports and medical examinations for any accompanying children.

Upon issuance of the visa, your fiancé(e) would be allowed into the U.S. to marry you; however, the marriage must take place within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States. If you do not marry your fiancé(e) within 90 days or your fiancé(e) marries someone other than you (the U.S. citizen filing the Petition for Alien Fiancé), your fiancé(e) will be required to leave the United States. In addition, your fiancé(e) may not obtain an extension of the 90-day original admission. Therefore, it is very important to marry during the 90 admission period. If your fiancé(e) does not marry you and stays beyond the 90 days, he/she will be subject to deportation as well as possible bars from returning to the United States for specified periods of time.

Permanent Residence (Green Card)

After you marry, your fiancé(e) may apply to become a permanent resident (Green Card). Your fiancé(e), now spouse, will receive conditional permanent residence status because the status is based on a marriage that was less than two years old on the day he/she was given permanent residence. The status is conditional because you and your new spouse must prove that you did not get married to evade the immigration laws of the United States. The conditional status will last for two years, at which point you must apply for removal of the conditions on the status.

Employment Authorization

Although it may take months or longer for approval of the green card, your new spouse may apply for employment authorization while the green card application is pending. Employment authorization would allow your new spouse to work legally while waiting for permanent residence.


An important reminder is that only U.S. citizens may take advantage of the Fiancé Petition. Presently, there is no provision that allows lawful permanent residents to use the Fiancé Petition.

If there is someone special in your life whom you are considering to be your husband or wife, we have been very successful in assisting our clients with Fiancé(e) Visas and would gladly assist you with yours. Call (952) 746-2153 or visit

About The Author

Maury D. Beaulier is part of a 29 attorney immigration law firm handling cases for clients across the United States and abroad. The firm and its members are recognized leaders in the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization process including asylum cases, work visas, investor visas and family based immigration. You may reach Mr. Beaulier at (952) 746-2153 or through his immigration website located at Work Visa Lawyers.

No comments: