Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Marriage to a Foreigner Made Possible with a K1 Fiancee Visa

Marriage to a Foreigner Made Possible with a K1 Fiancee Visa
by: Abe Rothstein

Saying "I do" to your foreign bride is a dream that can be made a reality. While the process of bringing your fiancée to your home country can be complicated and lengthy, it is not an impossible task. There are several stages in the application process and each step must be handled with an uncompromised degree of detail and thoroughness. Failing to complete all forms or providing inaccurate information will delay the process and cause you unnecessary stress. Before you forge ahead with your goal of bringing your dream fiancée home, take the time to inform yourself on which visa you need, whether or not your cause qualifies, and what the application process entails.

Before you can have your fiancée enter the United States and officially marry her, she must have the k1 fiancee visa. Although there are other types of visas, the k1 visa is the only accepted form of documentation that will allow you to legally marry your partner in the US. If, for example, you decide to marry your fiancée while she only has a tourist, student or business visa, her legal status will become questionable and potentially serious problems can result. To ensure that your fiancée is not refused permanent resident status, or that she is not deported back to her home country, you must obtain a k1 fiancee visa.

Before you can obtain a k1 visa, there are several eligibility conditions that must be met. First, you and your fiancée must be free to marry each other. This means that both partners must be unmarried, or that any ended marriages have been finalized with divorce, annulment or death. Secondly, you must have met with your fiancée in person within the last two years before filing for the visa. There are some exceptions to this rule including the clause that traveling to her home country would violate long-established and legitimate customs, or that it would be impossible for you to physically make the trip. Lastly, you and your fiancée must marry within 90 days of her entrance to the United States. Note that you can also apply to bring your fiancée’s children to the country if they are less than 21 years of age and unmarried.

The first stage in the application process begins when you receive your complete application package. It will provide an interview date for the applicant and details of the visa. It will instruct you that several documents are required including a valid passport, birth certificate, divorce or death certificate if needed, marriage certificate, police certificate from all places of residence since age 16, proof of medical examination, evidence of financial support (form I-864), affidavit of support from petitioner or sponsor, application for immigrant visa and alien registration (form DS-230 part I & II completed), and two immigrant visa photos. Failure to produce any of these required documents will render your application status incomplete and will slow down the process and potentially jeopardize your chances of obtaining the visa.

Marriage to a foreigner is made possible by obtaining a K1 fiancee visa. Not only will it legally bring your fiancée into the United States, but it will also be necessary if she hopes to find legal work in the future. The whole process may seem complicated, but taking the time to inform yourself and understand the various required stages will better your chances of success.

About The Author
Abe Rothstein is the content manager for Abe's INS Fiancée Visa Help Site at (www.ins-fiance-visa.com). He offers immigration solutions to help you get into the country legally. Visit his site for a full detailed walkthough of the fiancée visa process.

No comments: